- 1 chicken (1 to 1½ kg)
- 8 tablespoons groundnut oil
- 1 large onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 teaspoon Shrimps paste
- 200 ml water
- 1 dessert spoon Palm Sugar
- 300 ml Coconut milk
- pepper, salt & sweet-soy sauce
- Divide the chicken into 4 equal portions, wash and dry.
- Rub in pepper and salt.
- Dice the onion and crush the garlic.
- Crush or grate the candle nuts and mix with the coriander, cumin, galangal and turmeric.
- In a thick bottomed pan, heat the oil and fry the chicken on all sides to a golden colour.
- Reduce the heat slightly and add the onions and garlic, stir until the onion is cooked and nicely browned.
- Add the "others thing" and fry for a further 2 minutes then add the shrimp paste and fry for a further minute.
- Now add the water and Palm sugar to the pan.
- Bring to the boil and cover the pan with a lid and simmer the chicken on a low heat for a further 30 minutes until well done.
- Remove lid and add the coconut milk and, leaving the lid of the pan, reduce the sauce to about half. Bring to taste with pepper, salt or sweet soy sauce.
- Serve it.